A recent study showed that most car insurance policyholders kept their coverage with the same car insurance company for at least the last four years, and almost half have never compared quotes from other companies. North Carolina insurance shoppers could save up to $94 each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don't want to spend time to compare rate quotes online.
It takes a few minutes, but the best way to find discount Ford Fiesta insurance is to start doing a yearly price comparison from insurance carriers who sell auto insurance in Charlotte.
- Step 1: Try to learn a little about how companies set rates and the things you can control to prevent high rates. Many things that cause rate increases such as accidents, traffic tickets, and an imperfect credit score can be amended by making minor changes to your lifestyle. Continue reading for ideas to get cheaper coverage and find hidden discounts.
- Step 2: Compare rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from a single company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can quote prices from multiple insurance companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy and see if you can save money. If you find a lower rate and change companies, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Notify your company or agent to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit a signed application and payment to your new company or agent. As soon as you have the new policy, place your new certificate of insurance in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
One important bit of advice is to use similar limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to analyze as many auto insurance providers as possible. Doing this guarantees a fair rate comparison and the best rate selection.
If you're already insured, you will surely be able to reduce premiums using the concepts covered in this article. Choosing the most cost-effective auto insurance policy in Charlotte is really quite easy. Although North Carolina drivers must know the way insurance companies calculate your policy premium.
It's important to know that comparing more quotes helps you find a lower rate than you're paying now. Some companies don't provide price estimates online, so it's necessary to compare prices on coverage from those companies, too.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in North Carolina. If you want to find cheap auto insurance in North Carolina, we suggest you click on several of them in order to find the most competitive rates.
These discounts can lower your auto insurance quotes
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you might be missing out on some discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Some discounts apply automatically when you complete an application, but a few need to be specially asked for before they will apply.
- Smart Student Discounts - Being a good student can get you a discount of up to 25%. Many companies even apply the discount to college students up until you turn 25.
- Distant Student Discount - Children living away from Charlotte attending college and won't have access to an insured vehicle can receive lower rates.
- Life Insurance Discount - Larger auto insurance companies have a break if you buy life insurance from them.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can stop better under adverse conditions so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Telematics Discount - Drivers that enable driving data collection to analyze driving patterns by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as Progressive's Snapshot may get a rate reduction if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- Seat Belts Save - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts can save a little off the medical payments premium.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - If you pay your entire premium ahead of time as opposed to paying monthly you may reduce your total bill.
- Drive Safe and Save - Drivers who avoid accidents may receive a discount up to 45% compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Military Discounts - Being on active deployment in the military may lower your prices slightly.
- New Car Discount - Buying insurance coverage on a new vehicle can be considerably cheaper due to better safety requirements for newer vehicles.
While discounts sound great, it's important to understand that most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only cut individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. Even though it appears you can get free auto insurance, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy.
A few of the larger companies and some of the discounts are detailed below.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for good student, online quote discount, multi-policy, continuous coverage, homeowner, online signing, and multi-vehicle.
- The Hartford includes discounts for bundle, vehicle fuel type, driver training, air bag, anti-theft, and defensive driver.
- Mercury Insurance may have discounts that include accident-free, annual mileage, anti-theft, location of vehicle, low natural disaster claims, and good student.
- GEICO discounts include membership and employees, emergency military deployment, military active duty, good student, and five-year accident-free.
- AAA has savings for education and occupation, multi-car, good student, pay-in-full, and multi-policy.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including anti-theft, multiple policy, passive restraint, safe vehicle, Drive Safe & Save, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and good student.
If you want affordable Charlotte car insurance quotes, ask each company what discounts are available to you. Some credits might not apply in Charlotte. To view providers that offer the discounts shown above in North Carolina, click here.
Why you need to buy insurance
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Ford in Charlotte, maintaining insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
First, just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability coverage if you don't want to risk a ticket. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your car, almost all lenders will force you to have physical damage coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Ford at a more expensive rate and require you to fork over for the expensive policy.
Third, insurance protects your car and your assets. Insurance will also pay for hospital and medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you have damage to your Ford as the result of the weather or an accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance outweigh the cost, especially with large liability claims. But the average driver in North Carolina is overpaying over $825 a year so shop around every year to make sure the price is not too high.
What insurance coverages do I need?
When buying adequate coverage, there is no "best" method to buy coverage. Your financial needs are unique and your auto insurance should be unique as well. Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine if your situation might need an agent's assistance.
- When should I not buy collision coverage?
- Does coverage extend to Mexico or Canada?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Do I have ACV or replacement cost coverage?
- Am I covered if my car is in a flood?
- Do they offer discounts for home and auto coverage?
- Does rental coverage apply when I am renting a car?
- Can my teen drive my company car?
If you can't answer these questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Local Charlotte auto insurance agents and auto insurance
Some people just prefer to go talk to an agent and often times that is recommended One of the benefits of comparing auto insurance online is the fact that you can find cheap rate quotes and still choose a local agent. And supporting neighborhood agents is definitely important in Charlotte.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is immediately sent to companies in Charlotte that can give you free Charlotte car insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won't need to find an agent since price quotes are sent immediately to you. You can find lower rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you need to compare rates from a specific company, you just need to visit that company's website to submit a rate quote request.
Pick the best car insurance agent in Charlotte for you
When narrowing the list to find local Charlotte agents, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agencies and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Auto insurance agents can be described as either independent agents or exclusive agents.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents do not write with just one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with lots of companies and get the cheapest rates. If they find a lower price, your agent can switch companies which is easy for the insured. When comparing rate quotes, we highly recommend that you get quotes from independent agents for the best price selection.
Listed below are independent insurance agencies in Charlotte who may provide price quotes.
Agents in the exclusive channel write business for a single company like AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. Exclusive agents cannot provide other company's prices so it's a take it or leave it situation. They are very knowledgeable on what they offer which aids in selling service over price.
Below are exclusive insurance agencies in Charlotte that are able to give rate quotes.
Choosing an insurance agency requires you to look at more than just a cheap price. These are valid questions to ask:
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- What is the agency's Better Business Bureau rating?
- Is the quote a firm price?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- How long has their agency been in business in Charlotte?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?